Saturday 10 September 2011

Yarnapolooza 2011, Or 12 skeins of yarn, 4 brand new patterns, and a partridge in a pear tree

It's been an interesting week. Between the new job, working on two contract projects, and the challenges of returning to work full time there wasn't much that could inspire me to get out of bed before noon this Saturday. But it just so happened that today was the Kitchener-Waterloo Knitter's Fair and if there is anything that can get me out of bed it is the promise of yarn. And maybe bacon.

Yarnapolooza is the name that one of my friends gave to this event because there is yarn, yarn everywhere! I had a set amount of money in my purse and I spent (almost) every penny. I wanted to stick to local dyers and support smaller companies so I tried to spend the majority of my money on local products.

Lola is very confident that I bought this yarn for her amusement.
My first and most pricey stop was the Tanis Fiber Arts booth. I went with the intention of picking up her new Adelia Pattern with a couple of skeins. For this I bought the Purple Label Fingering weight, a yummy combination of merino and cashmere in Plum and Sand colourways. I then found the "One of a Kind Bin" and I couldn't resist picking up a blue and red multi skein. I have the My Vampire Boyfriend socks in mind for the red and a baby sweater in the blue. 

Tanis yarns, from left to right: plum, sand, and 2 one-of-a-kind skeins

Next stop was the Feather My Nest Booth, a LYS from Sarnia, ON. Here I bought a kit to make a linen stitch scarf. The yarn accompanying it was Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock. Not a Canadian yarn but from Chicago, where we just got home from! This pattern seemed to be popular at the fair this year and I saw kits at more than one booth. Linen stitch is very interesting as the finished project looks woven, not knitted. Looking forward to casting this one on soon.

Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in 3 colours:  Huron, Envy & Franklin's Panopticon  (L-R)

Another non-Canadian yarn, but I couldn't resist the prices that the Busy Hands booth has on one of my favourite yarns, Malabrigo.

Malabrigo Rios in Purpuras, and Malabrigo Sock in Caribeno.

Waterloo Wools is another local dyer that has really great yarn. I bought this bright orange yarn and the Kaie Beanie pattern to make hat for my Dad for Christmas. He loves Orange.

Waterloo Wools Huron Worsted Weight in Persimmon.
Another gift for my Dad, I couldn't resist this bright orange and black sock year from Manspun yarns (based out of somewhere in Ontario).  Touted as the yarn of manliness, this colour: Harley Compatible.

Love the Harley influence in this manly sock yarn. 
So I was all done shopping, but then I came across the Indigo Dragonfly booth. When I saw this yarn called "Zombie Grover eats a Cookie", how could I resist! Another great Canadian company from Halliburton HIlls.

Love the colours in this uniquely named yarn!
The only other thing I bought was an awesome pattern for this family of zombie dolls from Joey's House. Zombert, Zombella and Zombot the pet! I took this picture on my phone at the Shall We Knit? booth. Can't wait to make these critters to add to our knitted collection of oddities at home. 


Well I'm now broke and exhausted. Off to reorganize my stash and take a nap!

msi.

PS. Super big thanks to one of my bff's L, who drove me out to the fair and enables my yarn addiction. Love ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment